remains of unethical ways of working

This image is a photo of a sculpture I visited at the metropolitan museum. The message being conveyed is significant to slavery. Tools used for yard work and fields all linked together with chains. The sculpture was displayed in an area with very little light and the tools were rusted and old to show the time period, but also the hard labor these people were induced to. Through the photo alone you wouldn’t be able to see the texture or like I said the rusted look that would be able to be seen at the actual exhibit. The lack of detail not being shown in the image can ultimately change the overall message to the viewer. You don’t get the full effect that you would if you were right in front of the sculpture. Now that I’m looking back at the image it doesn’t have the same effect that it did a year ago. I feel like that would happen with a lot of artwork or sculptures over time it starts to lose value and less feeling or emotion that you once had when looking at images. The idea of being able to see things in a way that you weren’t taught and learned like Berger said leaves more room to have your own opinion and view towards the meaning of art. This allows room for more thought and change rather than seeing things the way everyone else perceive it.

1 thought on “remains of unethical ways of working