Equality

I decided to write about the image of Donna Gottschalk where she is in a parade holding a sign that says  “I am your worst fear, I am your best fantasy”. I find this image to be really interesting and it also holds a lot of meaning to it. I believe that the message that she is trying to convey is that women have been seen as objects used to satisfy men’s desires, as Berger argues in episode 2 of ways of seeing; but also, the contrast that she makes with the phrase  “I am your worst fear” is trying to say that men are aware of how able and powerful women can be and that might intimidate them a little. Another thing that really caught my attention was the confidence that Donna emits standing there with such bravery to defend her rights as a lesbian (this picture was taken at the beginnning of gay rights movements in the 1970s). Her semblance is a reflection of what many women nowadays try to communicate to society and i would like to talk more in detail about this in my paper along with John Berger’s ideas about how women were depicted in society.

1 thought on “Equality