Portrayal of Women Through Paintings

In episode 2 of ways of seeing we come to see the perspective Berger has on how women were objectified by men through paintings. Also a great point that Berger develops is that women in paintings were not really depicted in them they were just portrayed the way they were for the pleasure of the spectator. Which at that time the spectator was mainly men and the painters were also mainly men as well. In the episode Berger also mentions how to be naked is to be oneself meanwhile to be nude is to be naked for a spectator but in a way as a disguise in order to please the individual observing the painting. I find this very interesting because in a way I believe we still do this for pictures in our every day life we typically are not ourselves when we take pictures and post them on social media. So from my point of view I think to be able to be ourselves in pictures we would need to not be aware of the picture being taken I have always thought those are more powerful pictures rather then someone simply smiling for a picture. Fortunately we have come a long way women are progressing and striving in all fields of expertise where before during the time of the paintings women were limited to even thinking of doing certain jobs and positions of power in politics that they have gotten now so this goes to show we have improved in society. From this episode all I took from it was how little women meant for men they were painted nude in order for the pleasure of men rather then being painted doing the tasks they do in their everyday lives or so on so the image we have thanks to the art is totally different from what women actually did in society at the time.

Image result for episode 2 ways of seeing images