September 11

Each time when I see the picture of terror attack of 9/11 my heart breaks apart. When we discuss one of the devastating moments in American history, so many heartbreaking things come to our mind. More than 3,000 innocent people died during that horrific attack. On my first paper I want to write about picture of Thomas Hoepker taken on 9/11 which conveys image of group of people relaxing in Brooklyn side while Trade World Center buildings burning.

This photo  was a very controversial photo and Thomas for a long time didn’t want to publish it. Of course, this can be understood because, when we look at this photo each of us accepts the photo differently. I will further encourage this idea on my paper. In the first episode Ways of seeing Berger talked about camera. How camera influenced the paintings furthermore he said how camera signify the image. Thomas picked up such a moment in this photo: everything was beautiful, kind of smiling young people sitting close to the emerald ocean, everything is fine and against the backdrop outgoing ashes from burning buildings. This photograph once again proves how far the camera can transmit situation to us. 

1 thought on “September 11

1. Paul Fess

This seems like a good start. I encourage you to be more specific, though. What do you mean that “each of us accepts the photo differently?’